Friday, April 5, 2013

Experience



“Ultima said to take life’s experiences and build strength from them, not weakness.” 
(Rudolfo Anaya, Bless Me, Ultima, 261)


Bless Me, Ultima is about a young boys journey through his childhood to manhood.  He has several questions about life and through his experience and guidance by an old family friend, Ultima, he is able to find the knowledge that he needs to guide his future path.

At the end of the book, Antonio, the young boy, shares what he has learned from Ultima and I especially like this quote about taking life’s experiences and building strength from them, not weakness.  Even though Antonio has seen much in his young life, he is learning to take the good out those experiences and better himself.


This is a valuable lesson that we can all take into our lives.  We all have challenges, but if we focus on what we can learn from these experiences, then we will be a stronger person.  This reminds me of the scripture given to Joseph Smith by the Lord when he is in Liberty jail and he feels like he can’t endure this trial much longer.  It says: “…know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.” (D&C 122:7)

Our experience shall be for our good.  Here again is that important life lesson, if we choose to abide by it.  If we don’t then it becomes a weakness.

There is an inspirational story about a man named Tony Melendez who was born with no arms.  This could be a weakness, however he chooses to make it his strength.  He learns to play a guitar by using his feet.  He makes beautiful music while playing the guitar and singing. 

He said, “God has given me strength. God has given me my family and he has given me my music which makes me feel strongly connected with Him. That helped me grow… It has calmed my heart…” 

His experience has made him grow and become stronger, just as Antonio's experience has made him grow and will continue to make him stronger in his life. It can do the same for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment