Wednesday, January 9, 2013

What is Your Story?

Have you ever seen the show on BYUtv called the Story Trek?  Todd Hansen is a reporter that travels through Utah knocking door to door inviting people to share their stories on TV.  The majority of the time, people feel that they don’t really have a good story to share, but are willing to tell it anyway.  Like these people, I don’t feel that I have a great story to share yet, but I’m also willing to share it.

I was actually born in Utah, but only lived here a short time before my family moved to Idaho.  I have lived in Idaho my whole life and consider myself an Idahoan.  So I was quite surprised to find that my life had led me back to the state that I was born in.  Who knows, maybe I will eventually consider myself a Utahn. 

I have always been a very determined person.  When I put my mind to something I do it.  While a Senior in high school, I was anxious to graduate and start my career.  There was a program that I participated in my senior year that allowed me to do internships in fields that I thought were interesting.  One of these particular internships was with the Prosecutors Office.  The lady I worked with confided in me that she had one of the hardest jobs, but one of the most rewarding jobs.  She worked with children who had been abused or hurt in some way and had to testify in court.  She was able to help them through that difficult experience.  I knew that this was what I wanted to do too.  So I went to a vocational college into the same program that she did.  A year and a half later, I graduated as a Legal Office Technician.

It's funny how life sometimes throws you curve balls.  That is what happened to me.  I remember the last week of school, one of my professors called me into her office.  She said that the FBI had contacted them and was asking for a few of the students to apply for a couple of vacancies they had opened in their support center.  She asked that I apply and before I knew it I was the youngest employee at that office, at age 19, working for the FBI.  I had some incredible experiences while working there and loved every minute of it. 

After five years with the FBI, my husband graduated from college and received a job that required us to move.  I felt okay about leaving the FBI, because I was ready to be a stay at home mother.

I now have four children and my youngest started Kindergarten this year.  I decided that now would be a great time to go back to school.  I have always wanted to get my bachelor's degree.  I am now in my second semester here at BYU and really enjoying this new adventure in my life.  I am not sure where my story will lead me, but I know that I am making a great one and maybe one day I will receive a knock on my door and be asked to share it.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment